Celery – is cancer protective.

[pmpro_account]Celery is one of the traditional Mediterranean herbs recognized for its strong aromatic flavor, which it imparts to a variety of cuisines. It is a small plant; reaching about half a meter in height and requires fertile, moisture rich soil to flourish.

About 75% of a celery stick is actually water; the other 25% is fibre. The high-water content of celery means that you will burn more calories eating it than it actually contains.

Celery seeds, used as a spice, are similar in appearance to cumin seeds. They feature dark-brown color, oblong shape with thin vertical ridges; and flavor that is strongly aromatic.

Celery is one of the very low-calorie herbaceous plants. Its leaves contain lots of non-soluble fiber (roughage) which when combined with other weight loss regimens may help reduce body weight, and blood cholesterol levels. Its leaves are a rich source of flavonoid antioxidants such as zeaxanthin, lutein, and β -carotene, thereby is  cancer protective and have immune-boosting functions. Fresh celery is an excellent source of vitamin-K, The herb is a very good source of minerals like potassium, sodium, calcium, manganese, and magnesium.

The essential oil obtained from extraction of celery plant has been employed as a soothing remedy for nervousness, osteoarthritis, and gouty arthritis conditions. Besides, its seeds and root have diuretic (removes excess water from the body through urine), galactagogue (help breast milk secretion), stimulant, and tonic properties.

Fresh leaf, root, and stalks can be used in salads, and stews.The herb is used as a garnish in a variety of recipes. It blends well with other complementing vegetables like potato, carrot, beans and poultry. Fresh leaf as well root has been used in the preparation of soups and sauces.

From the Panel of Well at Heart e-Health Magazine App

– By Ms. Pariksha Rao

M Sc in Advanced Human Nutrition and Public Health Nutrition (Delhi University).

Diploma in Clinical Research and Clinical Behaviour Science

Senior Clinical Nutritionist & Wellness Coach

Mindfulness Expert – Diabetes (UK)

International Diabetes Federation certified Diabetes Educator.

Leave a Reply